LGBT+ Staff Stories: Alex D'Arcy, Social and Media Assistant

What’s your name?

Alex D'Arcy - that’s my legal name as of 2018. My name was actually one of the first hints to myself that I wasn’t cisgender; Alexander used to be my surname and I preferred to be addressed that way, rather than my feminine first name. When I changed it, my dead name was my gran’s name and I thought “Well I don’t want to get rid of my gran’s name” but her surname was D’Arcy. So now I have Alex Darcy.

Have you ever been called ‘Lex’ or ‘Xander’?

Not really. I get called ‘Al’ a lot. A guy I worked with thought my name was ‘Alexis’ for a good few months.

What is your role in Age UK Wirral?

I was brought on as part of the Kickstarter program. I’m one of the social and media people. Somehow my name is in every single email that seems to go out, I’m just everywhere. I’m the one who puts things up. I’m the one who's emailing around the company to say, do you want to be on the internet? And I also work with Jenny and Emma to create content for Age Uk Wirral. So, it's part content creator, part marketing parting, and I’m also sort of like a mouthpiece. I guess it sounds like I'm being the leader if I'm the mouthpiece but no, I'm just the frontman.

What does a typical day in the life at Age Uk Wirral?

Well, at the moment I’m working from home. It's funny because I get up and tell my dad: “I’m going to the office!” and he’s like “You don’t work in an office!”

 Basically, I get out of bed, make breakfast, turn on the laptop, answer any emails and then anything else I do tends to change from day to day because of the content side of the job. Some days I’ll designing a poster’s for Ellie, some days I’ll be sending things back and forth for Lynne, some days an email gets sent down from Jamie and I’m posting up what he wants. It's very responsive.

 It's different every single day, which is what I quite enjoy. And if I'm not doing actively doing something I’m emailing the social media team saying, what are we doing guys? I’m a Jack of All Trades, to be honest.

So, what is nonbinary? 

Nonbinary is identifying as neither man, nor woman. If you imagine a binary code is one or zero. It’s one or the other, I am neither one nor the other. Non-binary can be a lot of different things for a lot of different people. For some people that means something like a third gender, for others it means gender fluid. For myself, it means I am technically agender, which means I do not identify as anything. 

Do you move about on that spectrum or are you firmly somewhere in the middle?

If I were gender fluid, I would move about, I am quite firmly away from the line floating off somewhere. I’ve heard terms like demi-sexual and there's demi-man and demi-woman and that is only identifying man or woman sometimes. So, when I was younger, I was on the verge of thinking I was a demi-man but when I got a little older, I thought: “Nah”.

What was it like for you coming out?

I had to come out twice. Sometime around the age of 12/13 I came out as gay while I was still identifying as a girl. That was quite a disaster because I had a crush on a girl in an all-girls Christian school and the rumour just spread like wildfire. 

She wasn’t happy about it, she ended up crying in class and the head of year got involved. That was the only bad thing. Apart from that it was like “Alex is gay, whatever.”. I think I put more pressure on myself than anyone else. It was never too much of a problem. Eventually I cut my hair short and started riding motorcycle and I started wearing pants and everyone was like “yeah okay. This makes sense now.”.

Hollywood has such a way of romanticising coming out. You come out and it’s got to be this big spectacle and that’s just completely fake. It's not this big parade. The truth is your probably going to come out quickly and out of nowhere. You never coming out stop because every person you meet you have to come out too. There’s a lot of explaining whenever I come out as non-binary, and I have to sort of rattle through it every time. I usually come out this way to friends because if it's just some dummy on the street they don’t matter.

I guess coming out was complicated and it stays complicated for a lot of people because you don’t know how people will react or what they might say. But I’ve managed to field a lot of weird questions in my life – I came out at such an early age, and you can’t ask stupider questions than teenage girls with nothing better to do. I've sort of accepted my role as the village elder of LGBT. I’m happier if someone sits me down and asks me hours' worth of questions than if they just carry on their lives in ignorance.

Have you experienced gender dysphoria?

One of the reasons it took so long to come out as non-binary is because it’s strange to have gender dysphoria with no gender. Because obviously if I were a trans man, I would look down at my myself and I’d want to look masculine because I have the idea of a man in my head. There's no precedent for non-binary person. There are things that I do and don’t like about myself: I don’t like my voice. or my height. My brain’s thinks “How should I look?” but then my body says, “Well I don’t know” and I think, “thanks for that”.

What do you want older people to know about being nonbinary?

It's confusing. It's weird. I know, like I understand completely. My gender identity is a whole new concept for a lot of people. But I'm just a person and it's just the way my brain is wired. I appreciate it's a lot for people to take in, like even homosexuality or drag Queens is a lot for people of a certain generation. We're not going to bite you. We're just here. We’re queer. I'm sorry that you’ve had to learn so much. It's confusing for us too, imagine how we feel, I didn’t know what nonbinary was until I was 16 or so, and I have to know what it is.

The internet has done so much to help; now we can get our hands on more education and better wording and better vocabulary, we can share it with each other. More and more people have access to this information that wasn't there yet. Not even 10 years ago, it just wasn't there. 

I understand it must be terrifying. You see just a bunch of random genders and sexualities just come out of the ether, but we’ve always been there. It’s not strange, it’s not new. It’s just not been talked about before. 

How do you think non-binary people will influence society in the future?

The same way as everyone else but we will be nonbinary about it. One day in the future there won't be any sort of transgender celebrities or nonbinary celebrities. Celebrities will just be celebrities. And we won't mind, we won't care. If a kid is going to come out and be non-binary and be a rocket scientist, they’ll just be a rocket scientist. We're nothing special. We're just genderless. 

How's life different for you now?

I'm 23 now I came out as non-binary when I was 17 so life has just been the same for like a while. I have now changed all my documents - that took ages. Every now and then I’ll get a letter from the opticians with the wrong name on. 

When I was younger, I was very, very angry as a person for no reason. And as I'm getting older and older and finding out more things about myself, I think "No wonder I was getting so angry. I wasn’t getting the help I needed.”. When I was 12, I didn't know I was gay, I didn’t know I was non-binary, I didn’t know I was autistic. I was trying to process something I didn’t understand completely... it was like there was no forwards for me. But now I understand myself and who Alex is and it feels refreshing, it feels freer.

You have more confidence in being the real you? 

Yeah. I’m less angry. I think I had this mindset of “why can't I do this? Why can't I be there? Why can’t I play football for lads and do make up with the girls.” And it's like - hang on, it's because I'm neither of those things and I don't want to be. 

What are you looking forward to most in the future?

Jet packs. 

 

Comments