Everyday Hero's - Cheryl McCullough

 Who are you? What’s your role in the community?

My names Cheryl. I am a humanitarian at heart and enjoy connecting with people.  I have a passion for healing, poetry, and anything that respects individuality.  I am also a person who enjoys laughter and I consider myself a very down to earth empathic person. 

My role in the community in
my NHS work is as a wellbeing practitioner.  I work with vulnerable individuals as a facilitator to help individuals become more independent.   I work a lot with individuals who have mental health issues and social issues.  I also signpost patients to services for various reasons, housing, mental health, mobility issues, assistance in accessing services.  I currently also work with a local church in the Wirral, who are delivering food to the vulnerable.  As well as my NHS work, I offer discounted and free therapy services in my private work in a clinic in Waterloo which also has a book and a coffee shop with facilities for to help with mobility for the disabled people (adaptations) and the elderly to access the building.  I write a blog for a charity called PSS, on various subjects - Wellbeing - a new sector called upbeat Liverpool (digital) to help people since lockdown restrictions (those struggling with physical disabilities, learning disabilities and issues around challenges with their mental health) 

How did you get started in this?

I realised that there is a gap in the services for preventative support and people headed towards crisis.  I have worked in the past a lot in psychology unit, psychiatry, and social services departments.  As many people are aware not everyone responds to medication, and I believe a holistic approach is vital if you are to truly help a person.  I have seen great improvements in health, both mental and physical by applying a holistic approach and treating the individual not the symptoms.   A lot of services cater for people in crisis but treating those individuals before they arrive at that destination (preventative) is important to me also.  A lot of therapies are not available due to lack of funding and I wanted to make these therapies available to people on a low budget and offer when I can a free voluntary service.  I started with a reflexology qualification and carried out some voluntary work at a hospice with the Reflexology college.  It was evident that these treatments help people on many levels (power of touch and being listened to).  It puts people at ease, taking away the clinical element, which helps people open and share their issues in a nurturing environment.  A member of staff in the NHS (a clinical manager in the hospital) who I treated this lady's mother and received a wonderful testimonial.  This lady informed me that reflexology and lymphatic massage draining techniques and nutrition advice, helped prevent her elderly mother going into a nursing home post pneumonia hospitalisation. I saw the power for elderly people also who maybe struggling with mobility and mental health.  My passion was ignited, and I then proceeded to study other modes of therapy.

How did you find out about age UK Wirral?

Through my NHS Wellbeing Work, research and liaising with staff members since being in my current role.  I also work with a colleague who has been a connector for a long time and this lady has also educated me on AGE UK services as well as connecting yourselves with referrals.

How are you helping age UK Wirral?

 I promote AGE UK a lot in my role in the NHS as a Wellbeing Practitioner and refer patients from the 3 surgeries (Brighter Birkenhead).  I also discuss what AGE UK have to offer with patients on a regular basis.  I was working from Meadowcroft at one stage early on in my role.

What do you find most rewarding about helping the charity?

I find it rewarding the fact that the AGE UK is helping people become less isolated and understanding that seems to underpin the charity is community spirit that is sometimes lost in these times.   Also, understanding that social aspects of care are just as important as medical.  

 How has the pandemic affected you?

The pandemic has not had an extreme negative impact on me as I practise self-care a lot so I can help others.  However, It has given me time to reflect. On some occasions the restrictive nature of the pandemic was difficult. What was however especially difficult was the negative impact it had on the patients I was supporting every day in my work. This was upsetting to see how negatively it has affected people with mental health issues with organisations being closed down. 

What do you enjoy doing in your free time?

Walking in nature/countryside, writing poetry (had one published and did a local radio session in January 2020).   I also enjoy helping my family relax (reflexology), reading, eating out.

What inspires you?

Kindness and people rising from injustice/hardship or vulnerability and reclaiming their life.  Seeing clients in my private work and individuals in my NHS work improve their lives.  I am also inspired by independent businesses, charities working together and providing solidarity in the community and stories of compassion.

What makes you happy?

Humour, having a good laugh.  Creative expression in all forms but especially writing, I adore animals.  Any type of learning which involves healing methods.

#Everydayhero's #AgeUKWirral #NHS #Mentalhealth

Comments