LBGT + Staff Stories - Barbara and George


Pride month may be over, but we're still celebrating our staff as LBGT+ allies. Barbara has shared her story with us of her transgender Grandson:


  "I’m Barbara Flynn, Receptionist at the Devonshire Resource Centre usually but I’m working from home until possibly August. I’ve been here 6 years and love every minute of my job and the people who work here are fab.   
 My granddaughter Georgia was being very rebellious at school when she was 14, both sides of her family went to meetings to try and sort things out, but she just ignored all suggestions and would disappear for days.  She finally told us she wanted to be male.  It was a shock to us all and wondered if she was serious or maybe confused.   
 
 She went through a few years of living in rooms around the Wirral and Liverpool. I would always go and visit him - he was dressing as a man and changed his name to George.  He would often come and see me, and he seemed to relax when with me.  I always loved him and had a lot of input in him growing up. George is 24 now, just passed his driving test, been promoted and got engaged and lives in Manchester, he comes over every two weeks to see his family.  


 The more we talked about things the more I learned, it has made me very open and more sensitive to others who struggle with their identities.  George's assigned sex was just mismatched.  I take great pride in him - he has a great sense of humour and is very caring.  He is now looking into having medical surgery.  The more information that can be put out there the more people can understand."

Comments